Crunchy Apricot Phyllo Parcels
|Prep Time: 25 mins|
|Cooking Time: 45 mins|
|6 - 8|
- 140g Dried Apricots, chopped
- 115g Brown Sugar, plus 2Tbsp extra
- 125ml (½cup) water
- 10ml (2tsp) Vanilla essence
- Pinch Ground Ginger
- 115g Cream Cheese
- 6 Ginger Biscuits, crushed
- 12 Sheets Phyllo Pastry, thawed
- 45ml (3Tbsp) Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 70g Apricot Jam
- 15ml (1Tbsp) Icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°C and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine the apricots, half the brown sugar and all the water in a pan, slowly bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 10mins or until soft. Place in food processor, add 1tsp vanilla essence and process until smooth.
- Place the remaining brown sugar, the ground ginger, remaining vanilla and all the cream cheese in a bowl and mix well.
- Crush the ginger biscuits in a blender to make coarse crumbs. Combine the ginger biscuit crumbs and the extra 2Tbsp brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Place the filo on a work surface and cover with a damp cloth towel.Place1 sheet down in front of you brush lightly with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugared ginger nut crumbs.
- Repeat the layering process with more phyllo, butter and crumbs another 3 times.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the prepared sheets into 4 equal rectangles.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture towards the bottom of each rectangle followed by a spoonful of the processed apricot mixture.
- Fold the outsides of each rectangle towards the centre, brush the phyllo with a little more butter before rolling up to resemble a cigar.
- Repeat this until all the phyllo is used
- Brush the surface of each parcel with the remaining butter.
- Place parcels onto baking sheet and bake for 30–35mins or until golden and crisp.
- In the meantime, melt the apricot preserve in 1 tablespoon water in a small saucepan over low heat. Brush preserve over warm cooked pastry and sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.